SALT LAKE CITY, Nov. 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- South Hall, Booth 6212 - Varian Medical Systems (NYSE: VAR) is introducing a new line of PaxPower™ X-ray tubes that offer the heat management capabilities of conventional X-ray tubes in a much smaller and lighter package. The PaxPower™ tubes are designed to be paired with the company's PaxScan® digital detectors for filmless imaging, and will be debuted in Varian's exhibit at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) in Chicago from Nov 27 - Dec 01. The company will also display its technologies for treating cancer with targeted radiotherapy and radiosurgery.
"The new PaxPower™ X-ray tubes use Varian's patented anode-grounded technology for high performance imaging," said Steve Kimmel, vice president of sales and marketing for Varian's X-Ray Products business. "They were designed for space efficiency and high capacity. They are lightweight, half the size, and offer substantially more power than similarly sized conventional dual-ended tubes."
Varian will also exhibit PaxScan® X flat panel technology, a proprietary new digital image detector platform based on 6th generation architecture, featuring faster imaging frame rates, improved low dose imaging and 16-bit data acquisition. The X platform is optimized for high dose efficiency and very low electronic noise. The result is significantly improved low dose fluoroscopy and dental panoramic imaging.
"All of Varian's dynamic panels will soon be available in what we're calling the DX configuration, which combines the new X technology with our proven D-type interface," said Rick Colbeth, Ph.D., vice president of imaging products engineering. "The DX platform enables integrators to easily migrate between any of the dynamic detectors in the PaxScan® product line."
The full spectrum of PaxScan® digital flat-panel detectors will also be displayed at RSNA, including:
- PaxScan® 1515DX – The mid-size panel for cone-beam CT (3-D) and panoramic imaging. The panel, which uses Varian's new DX technology, is intended for use in mini C-arm applications and is also well suited for dental and industrial applications.
- PaxScan® 2530C – A radiographic panel with special imaging modes, designed for use in mid-size radiographic applications.
- PaxScan® 3024M - A compact design for full-field digital mammography, incorporating a narrow border at the chest wall and rapid image-acquisition capabilities. This panel enables advanced applications such as tomosynthesis. According to Colbeth, this new panel will help to extend digital mammography into emerging markets and mobile screening applications.
- PaxScan® 4343CB – A large field of view panel with multiple sensitivity ranges, designed to deliver the highest quality radiography and state-of-the art dynamic imaging. This panel, which incorporates the PaxScan® X technology, enables dual energy imaging and tomosynthesis in radiography. It can also handle Universal RF and large volume cone-beam CT applications.
"We're excited about the performance gains we've been able to engineer into our products for digital imaging," said Kimmel. "By leveraging technologies developed by Varian and used for years in the CT scanning world, Varian is offering equipment manufacturers the tools for developing smaller, lighter, more cost effective and dose-efficient systems."
Oncology Treatment Solutions
Varian will also exhibit oncology solutions at RSNA, including:
- A new user-centric design for the ARIA® oncology information system, with more personalization to the user, easy-to-follow task-driven workflows, greater automation, and a single clinical management system that accesses both ARIA and Varian's Eclipse™ treatment planning system from a single unified dashboard.
- Higher dose delivery rates on the company's Trilogy and Clinac® machines, for delivering high dose treatments more quickly to shorten treatment times and increase clinical efficiency.
- A specially-designed treatment couch attachment that enables breast cancer treatments with the patient in the prone position to help minimize radiation exposure to heart and lung tissue.
- The ProBeam™ proton therapy solution, which incorporates imaging, gating, robotic patient positioning, treatment planning and oncology information software to enhance treatment quality for patients and workflow efficiency for clinicians.
- Varian's latest brachytherapy afterloaders and applicators, as well as software for planning and delivering brachytherapy treatments.
About Varian Medical Systems
Varian Medical Systems, Inc., of Palo Alto, California, is the world's leading manufacturer of medical devices and software for treating cancer and other medical conditions with radiotherapy, radiosurgery, and brachytherapy. The company supplies informatics software for managing comprehensive cancer clinics, radiotherapy centers and medical oncology practices. Varian is a premier supplier of tubes and digital detectors for X-ray imaging in medical, scientific, and industrial applications and also supplies X-ray imaging products for cargo screening and industrial inspection. Varian Medical Systems employs approximately 5,700 people who are located at manufacturing sites in North America, Europe, and China and approximately 70 sales and support offices around the world. For more information, visit http://www.varian.com or follow us on Twitter.
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
Elaine Rebele, Varian Medical Systems
801-978-5715 or email@example.com
SOURCE Varian Medical Systems