HyperArc™ high-definition radiotherapy represents a significant step forward for linac-based radiosurgery, and is a culmination of several years of collaborative development between Varian and our clinical partners. HyperArc provides an intracranial radiosurgery solution that harnesses the power of Varian’s TrueBeam® and Eclipse™ platforms and combines it with the expertise of leading practitioners in the field. The result: a streamlined, end-to-end solution that can extend the benefits of radiosurgery to many more patients and one that can be adopted by clinics worldwide.
Our goal when developing HyperArc was to make high quality treatments available to more patients. With the guidance of our clinical partners, we are proud of the quality of the treatment plans being generated using HyperArc.
"This exciting new technology unlocks the potential of using highly non-coplanar treatment strategies to usher in a new era of precision in radiotherapy and radiosurgery for cancer patients,"
- Kolleen Kennedy, President of Varian Oncology Systems
New Optimization Tools: We developed new, SRS-specific optimization tools to optimize not only dose, but also treatment delivery. Dedicated algorithms to ensure efficient workflow and automation were developed, and new ways of looking at multiple targets simultaneously were conceived and implemented, all while reducing the complexity of the planning process for our end users.
Target Quality Metrics: following the recommendations of the RTOG and ICRU, SRS- specific quality metrics are included within HyperArc to assist you in achieving the desired, optimal plan quality. Metrics are available to use for single or multiple targets, and can be customized to reflect your preference.
We recognized at the start of the HyperArc program that optimal radiosurgery treatment should easily be scheduled in the same time slot as a conventional, non-radiosurgery treatment. This can present a challenge when treating multiple targets, and HyperArc addresses it by using a combination of Varian’s innovations:
- 1-click treatment delivery: HyperArc treatment delivery can even be achieved with a single click of the console (post setup), including intrafraction imaging. The need to re-enter the room is rendered obsolete by the advanced motion rules invoked during a HyperArc treatment and thus, early users are reporting some treatment times matching those of conventional treatments.
- Pre-defined Imaging WayPoints: during a complex non-coplanar treatment, determining safe locations for acquiring images can be challenging. HyperArc addresses this by pre-populating a set of known safe Imaging WayPoints throughout the delivery sequence. These WayPoints were determined by assessing not only the efficiency of delivery, but also assessing what is most clinically meaningful.
Patient safety was the central pillar in our product design philosophy. We recognized that the delivery of fully automated and non-coplanar treatments presents operational challenges because of patient safety concerns. To solve these challenges, we utilized novel, leading edge technologies throughout the HyperArc workflow:
- Virtual Dry Run: Many clinics today spend valuable resources conducting a physical dry run on the treatment delivery system to mitigate collision risk. We addressed this challenge by developing a new set of advanced visualization tools to display the treatment delivery sequence during treatment planning itself.
- Class Solution: HyperArc is provided as an end-to-end class solution for the treatment of intracranial targets. Delivery sequences are derived from a superset of trajectories. Immobilization is pre-defined, and intrafraction imaging and patient setup are prescribed. The repeatability of the external process allows for an extremely reproducible treatment time, enabling early treatments with HyperArc to be conducted in a conventional radiation therapy time slot.