Varian Medical Systems Foundation
The Varian Medical Systems Foundation was established in 2007 to manage the company’s philanthropy and charitable giving. The Varian Medical Systems Foundation makes grants, donations, and gifts to non-profit organizations that provide information and services involving the prevention, detection, and treatment of cancer, with a special emphasis on funding programs that address the role of radiation therapy in treating cancer. The Varian Medical Systems Foundation is an advised charitable fund managed by the Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Contact: Mo Tracy
Please note that Varian has met our fiscal year 2023 donation funding limit and will be accepting requests for new donations beginning October 1, 2024. Thank you.
Examples of Projects Funded
- National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation (NCSD) Speaker’s Bureau, including a roster of public speakers willing to appear at local NSCD events
- A website and service called TheSecondOpinion, created by the Regional Cancer Foundation, to provide second opinions to adults in California who have been diagnosed with new or recurrent cancer. Cancer patients and their family members can use the service to meet with a small group of physicians, all experts in cancer diagnosis and treatment, to review medical records and discuss treatment options.
Cancer Research and Education Initiatives
- ASRT Education and Research Foundation Varian Radiation Therapy Scholarship Program, to provide scholarships for academically outstanding students attending entry-level radiation therapy programs.
- Gateway for Cancer Research, to support innovative clinical research in conventional and complementary therapies.
- Radiation Oncology Institute, for developing innovative ways of enhancing the profile of radiation oncology and helping to prepare the specialty for the future
- RSNA Research & Education Foundation Education Scholar Grant, to provide support for students pursuing advanced training or continued education through fellowship and specialty training.
- AAWR Research and Education Seed Grants to honor the best research papers presented at the major national scientific meetings in radiation oncology and imaging.
- University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation Varian Scholarship for Radiation Oncology provides scholarships to outstanding medical students pursuing a career in radiation oncology.
International Organizations Providing Radiation Oncology Education
- Indian Society for Radiation Biology, to sponsor an international conference for physicians, physicists, and biologists in India.
- JASTRO Summer Seminar Training, to introduce the field of radiation oncology to medical students and residents in Japan.
- Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology Group, to help support the deployment of advanced forms of radiation therapy treatment in Australia.
Make a donation to the Varian Medical Systems Foundation
The Varian Medical Systems Foundation is funded by the company and by individuals committed to fighting and beating cancer.
Donations to the foundation can be made by sending a check, payable to Silicon Valley Community Foundation with "Varian Medical Systems Foundation" in the memo line. Please mail your check to:
Attention: Katie Villany/Community Relations
3100 Hansen Way, M/S E-190
Palo Alto, CA 94304