Our core values focus on reducing the generation of emissions, solid and hazardous wastes, and the consumption of natural resources. Varian began tracking the energy usage, air emissions, water consumption and hazardous-waste generation at the corporate level in 1992, and our environmental policy shows how that commitment is even stronger today:
- Alignment with the ISO14001 standard.
- Compliance with the applicable U.S. environmental legislation, including REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and restriction of Chemicals), WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances).
- EcoDesign for medical devices so that products consume less power, are easily dismantled and use fewer hazardous substances.
- Reduction, elimination and recycling of product packaging.
- Improved performance of facilities to reduce pollution, waste and the use of energy and water.
- Participation in the global Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Close collaboration with business partners to transport goods efficiently, and the optimisation of storage sites worldwide for the minimal handling of products and the shortest transportation distances.
- While customers benefit from a higher clinical availability, the number of customer visits from our service technicians is reduced, resulting in reductions of the need for travel and the associated carbon emissions.
- Increased use of video-conferencing services to reduce corporate travel in general.