Our core values focus on reducing the generation of emissions, solid, and hazardous wastes, and the consumption of natural resources. Varian began tracking energy use, air emissions, water consumption, and hazardous waste generation at a corporate level in 1992, and our environmental policy shows how that commitment is even stronger today:
- Alignment with the ISO14001 standard.
- Compliance with applicable environmental legislation, including REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and restriction of Chemicals), WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances.)
- EcoDesign for medical devices so that products consume less power, easily dismantle, and use fewer hazardous substances.
- Reduction, elimination and recycling of product packaging.
- Improved performance of facilities to reduce pollution, waste and use of energy and water.
- Participation in the global Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Close collaboration with business partners to transport goods efficiently, and optimize storage sites worldwide for the minimal handling of products and shortest transport distances.
- Development and installation of SmartConnect®, a remote monitoring solution for linear accelerators. While customers benefit from higher clinical availability, the number of customer visits from service technicians is reduced, resulting in reduced need for travel and associated carbon emissions.
- Increased use of video conferencing services to reduce corporate travel in general.